CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas from the MTC!

Beloved Friends and Family,

I hope you are all doing well and I are enjoying your last minute Christmas preparations! In the past week, we've gotten probably a good 8+ inches of snow (check out the weather cam link on the right side of my blog if you want a peek), so it looks like I will FINALLY get to experience a white Christmas! My family tells me it's been snowing like crazy up there too... what are the odds? I hope you all are safe in the snow up in Washington. Maybe you'll get a white Christmas too!

Yesterday was the first chance Hermana Blanco and I had to teach the first lesson in Spanish. Up until now we've been teaching in English, working on teaching techniques, learning the order of the lessons, etc., but since we're just past our halfway point, it's time to begin teaching in Spanish! We were both fairly nervous, but it went well, and the teacher we taught had lots of great feedback for us (we do SO many roleplays around here it's crazy). She was very positive about our spanish and our teaching techniques, even though it was only about half as good as our English lessons usually are. It will take practice and continued hard work, but hey, that's why we're here right? After we finished teaching, we went back to our class (there are 11 missionaries in our district... which is the same as our class) and everyone was discussing their experience. One of the elders said something particularly funny. He said, "The worst is when you ask them to read a scripture, but you don't even understand it [because it's in spanish]. Then you're like... 'So tell me... what does that mean to you?' hoping something they say will remind you what that scripture says..." Maybe you had to be there, but it was quite funny.

In addition, I couldn't possibly forget the birthday of my dear friend Marta whom I've known since I was 5! She turned 22 on the 17th of December. Happy Birthday, and Happy National Syrup Day, my dear!

Usually on P-day we go and do a session at the temple, but it's closed for a couple of weeks for maintenance and cleaning. At first I figured we'd probably just have extra time for writing letters and laundry and what not, and then I was told that nope... WE are going to go and do service at the temple and help them clean! So right after I send this email my district and I will be trudging up through the snow to help clean the inside of the temple! It should be interesting. I'll let you know how that goes.

Also, just an interesting note: Edward Herrman (Lorelai's dad on Gilmore Girls) was on Music and the Spoken Word a couple of weeks ago, as the narrator to one of the songs the choir sang! Crazy huh?

Finally, I am learning so much. I never thought that going on a mission could help me grow so much, but I can feel any walls that I had breaking down, and the truths of the gospel penetrating my heart. The sarcasm and skepticism that is so easy to feel under normal circumstances are slowly but surely being scrubbed away by the amazing spirit I feel everyday and the happiness I have at the opportunity to do so much to bring such wonderful happiness to any who may be looking for it. I am finding myself seeking the spiritual nourishment I have found through the scriptures... I am truly feastin on the word like I never have before. I love it.

Anyway, I hope to hear from all of you soon!

Love,

Hma. Austin Hollenbaugh

No comments:

Post a Comment