CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 17, 2009

MTC week 8

Dearest Family and Friends!

It is so great to have another opportunity to write you. I can't believe I've been out on my mission for just about 2 months already! Time flies! Anyway, it's been fun to receive updates from a few of you, and I'd love to hear from more! One quick note: while I'm here in the MTC, it doesn't cost a cent for you to send me a note through the DearElder.com website. However after I leave (in TWO weeks!) it is no longer free. I don't know how much it costs, but I don't want anyone to have to pay anything extra to send me letters through the site. I will make sure that I keep my address while I'm out in the field up-to-date, and just send me a letter that way! I don't mind if you type it up and then put it in an envelope and send it, or if you email me. Whatever is easier for you is just fine for me :).

Let's begin with a funny story. The night of January 6th, Hna. Blanco and I were back in our room, getting ready for bed. In fact, our whole building was full of sister missionaries getting ready for bed (there's probably 300+ sister missionaries here right now). Sisters were brushing their teeth, taking showers, putting their pajamas on... etc. All of a sudden, a shreiking beeping sound pierced our evening activities. My first thought was that it was the fire alarm, which I quickly told myself it wasn't... because why in the world would they do that to us at that hour of the night? It was almost bed time for goodness sakes, and heaven forbid that the missionaries get in bed after 10:30pm right? Well, to my dismay, and Hna. Blanco's as well, it was the fire alarm, we quickly threw on our big coats over our pajamas put the first shoes we found on, and ran out the door and down the stairs. Out of the doorways for each floor came a river of sisters some with toothbrushes in their mouths, some with towels in their hair, all wearing completely mismatched coats and pajama pants... etc. Luckily, someone in charge opened the gym for us (which is right across the courtyard from our building) and we were able to keep warm while we waited for the verdict on exactly what had happened. After about 10 minutes, they let us back in, and as we were climbing back up the stairs we heard shouts of, "it was BURNT POPCORN". haha... The whole situation was quite a sight... and I wish all of you could've been there to see. We were glad that there wasn't any real fire, and that it hadn't taken long to get things in order so we could go to bed. A little discomfort is worth a great memory... right? :)

Another fun thing that happened this week, is that Hna. Blanco and I got a letter from a sister that went to Houston, spanish-speaking last transfer, just before Christmas. We told her to write us and tell us how things are down there, and she did! She was so energetic and happy! Some of my favorite quotes from the letter:

"If you didn't think that this is the most amazing place in the world before, BELIEVE IT! Today is pday, and it's the first chance I've had to write anyone a letter but I wanted to tell you how amazing and fun this work is! I'm in the area of Katy, southmost part of the mission... and it IS the land of milk and honey!... We teach LOTS because we have like 20 investigators... Opening your mouth is not as hard one would think."

I'd like to close with my testimony, which I wrote in my journal on the fourth of January: "I feel so touched by the words of the scriptures, and the lives of the prophets. I want to be steadfast in the work as they were, and know the scriptures as they did, and be able to teach anyone about the gospel and just to be able to be friendly. I love the Book of Mormon and the Bible and all scripture. It's so eloquent and beautiful and comforting. These scriptures bring such peace and joy into my heart every time I read them. As always, I feel so privileged to be here, even though it's difficult, everyday I know that it's worth it."I hope you all know how much I love this work, and how much the gospel can change your life.

Love,Hermana Hollenbaugh

No comments:

Post a Comment