CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Post Mission Plans

I've been throwing around ideas for my after-mission plans, and I've considered several different options. I initially had the idea to go to grad school, but after a little more thought, I've settled on the idea of going to one of the awesome liberal arts schools in the New England (and surrounding) area and get a second bachelor's degree instead. I love the idea of spending some time in a smaller, more intellectual and open-minded environment to study something I'm more passionate about than my previous degree. Not many schools allow students to get second bachelor's degrees, but after some extensive research (thanks to Princeton Review's Best 368 Schools, and US News and World Reports National College Rankings) and numerous pro-con lists, I've narrowed it down to a loose ten schools:

If you've heard anything or know anything about any of these schools, I'd love your feedback. As of this moment, my favorites are Wellesley, Bennington, Mt. Holyoke, and Warren Wilson. Colby, College of the Atlantic, and Bates are close to falling off the bottom of the list (based on what I've read and what I'm looking for), but in the spirit of keeping my options open, I've decided not to cross them off just yet.

I even made a map using GoogleMaps, to mark each of these schools so I could get an overhead view of the locations of these schools! Click here to see it.

2 comments:

  1. [I know this post is so old I may be shouting into the breeze here.]

    I'm making similar plans to get a second bachelor's at a liberal arts college. It was my plan all along, but my father was in a crippling, coma-inducing car wreck near the end of my senior year in high school, and my options were narrowed by abrupt financial and familial concerns. Did you eventually settle on a school? Which one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I don't know how to reply to your comment directly, so I hope you check back here!

    Unfortunately, no, I never did end up settling on a school! After I got back from my mission, I decided that I should take some time to get some experience before I went and got into more debt. Still working on that one. Although I've been advised by several people to just go to grad school, so I may just do that, eventually.

    I'm so sorry to hear about that car wreck! What a difficult experience!

    What did you end up getting your first degree in, then?

    ReplyDelete