CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I'm in a Pickle

So my list of options just keeps growing and growing and growing. Which, I suppose isn't a horrible thing, but it's making things awfully difficult in the decision-making department. At the same time, however, my area of concentration is narrowing... so I've got the whole list of options getting smaller generally, and then specific options getting a lot bigger and replacing any options I have possibly crossed off the list for now. I suppose that means I'm not any better off as far as number of options goes, but I am doing better in at least being more specific. Anyway, I need your help. This is serious.

I've been looking at the option of possibly going back to school. I had my five top schools chosen before I left on my mission, and so I was reviewing those schools and the programs they offer to see what looks interesting. And GOOD NEWS! I think I've finally come to some kind of conclusion. Before my mission I had ideas but they were very broad and general and open. As I was looking at the programs available at Warren Wilson College, I found a minor called "Justice and Peace Studies". I read up on it a little, and it looked really interesting, so I typed it into google to see what other schools have programs like that one, and I found lots! I made a list of at least 30 schools in areas that I would like to visit.

BUT... before that, I had been looking seriously into the option of doing a Women or Gender Studies program somewhere, which I am still interested in. I'd love to focus in on teen pregnancy, body image, adoption, eating disorders... or something else along those lines.

And I also want at least a minor in Spanish. And I want to learn to speak French as well. And as you can see I have a dilemma here.

I was thinking that I could major in Social Justice and Peace Studies and then minor in Women/Gender Studies. But then what happens with my Spanish minor? Let alone my desire to take some French classes.

I wonder if I could just do the major in Justice and Peace Studies, and then concentrate my studies on the areas that interest me having to do with teens/women/gender, etc.? And then I could minor in romance languages... which would not only offer me French and Spanish, but Italian as well. Or maybe I could do the major in Women and Gender Studies hoping that that would give me all the focus on social justice and peace that I wanted, and then I could do the minor in romance languages. Or just Spanish if I have to choose. And then take extra french classes on the side... because I like to overload myself like that. OR... I could go to a school where they have a program where you can build your own major. That could be a little more difficult though, considering I would have to find a school that has the integrative studies program (build your own), and then has the offerings for the women's studies, justice and peace studies, and french and spanish.

My other dilemma, then, is deciding what I'm going to do in the mean time. To get there. I think I've decided that I want to stay here in Utah, because I like being close to my friends. I love being with my family, but there's nothing like having people your age all around you that understand you and where you are in your life. So the next order of business then, is getting a job. And finding somewhere to live. I'll make sure to keep all of you updated. And if you know of any good jobs or places to live, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment