CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 8, 2010

also... i'm getting really irritated.

I found the below conversation as a status update of one of my friends on facebook.

A. "Any tips on retraining a baby to sleep? Since he got sick he absolutely refuses to sleep anywhere but our bed (yes, I know that's a big no no). Refuses! And I do let him cry- he goes on for an hour and 1/2 and then I just can't take it anymore:("


M. "Oh I am sorry friend! It is the worst when they go through being sick. It always throws off Josie too. Have you tried sitting in the room with him while he falls asleep? Or singing to him just outside of his room?"


A. "Lol, I was going to call you about this actually:) I've been trying to do the thing you told me about where you sit with them at first, then slowly move out over a few days, but I made it through one day and gave up. I'm going to buy the book though, I think. I am going to start trying again tomorrow, so I'll give you a call. I think that would really help him. I saw an article in a magazine about it, and it reminded me that you did something similar."

B. "During the daytime, don't pick him up. Let him self soothe during the day when he can see you and is alert and can be distracted with toys. We've noticed Sam does better when she receives little attention during the day (other than feedings) and isn't held so much. Also, sensory overload will help. Always try to give him something new to analyze and figure out. New toys, new foods, get him a walker to cruise around the kitchen with, etc. Once you can get to the point where you can be in a different room for an hour or so while plays, several times a day, you should be good for night time."


L.  "does he take a pacifier? That was our best friend"

DOES THAT SOUND UNHEALTHY TO ANYONE ELSE???

I mean, I know I'm no parenting expert, but it sounds like it's just going to teach the little guy to feel helpless, and that no matter what he does, his parents aren't going to respond.  

Not only that, but it teaches the parents to be really detached!  Tell the parents to ignore their babies cries, don't give them any attention... that does not sound natural, or healthy.  Grrr.  Seriously people? 

Also, I know that self-soothing is a good skill for kids to learn. But seriously, this whole feed was just driving me crazy.

2 comments:

  1. Shut. Up. Until the post was over, I thought this was a joke. Seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  2. no joke. and believe me, it only got worse after that.

    ReplyDelete