CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 6, 2010

05.06.2010

Yesterday was super busy!

I had to wake up early to get to work at the bakery at 6am.  I got off at one, came home, showered (after a shift at the bakery, I smell just like I used to after a shift at Pick Quick. Ew.), and ate some lunch, which was leftover soup that I made a couple of nights ago (which is really good, by the way.  I posted the link to the recipe and the changes I made to it at the bottom of this post). 

After that I met with the other co-chair for FHE (did I mention that I was called as one of the FHE co-chairs? :)).  We are both brand new to the calling, but after talking with him, I'm way excited for the way things are going to do.  We're hoping to try some new things and hopefully get some more people coming out every week (as it is, less than half of each group generally comes to activities).  The most urgent thing we're dealing with right now is planning the ward FHE for this coming Monday evening.  We're thinking barbecue.  A delicious barbecue of course... none of this buy-some-cheap-nasty-hot-dogs-and-squished-white-hamburger-buns grossness.  Hopefully we'll play some kickball or whiffle ball too.  My roommate Jana upstairs is going to take care of the music.  It's still in the works of course, but it should be really fun!

Right after that, I had to leave again.  I had agreed to be in a film that my roommate's brother Scott is working on for one of his film classes.  He asked me on Monday if I'd mind being in a short (like two minutes, short) film he was working on.  They needed someone to play the "sweet, young mother", and Scott said he immediately thought of me.  I managed to find a baby that I could borrow to add to the effect (baby on the hip, over-sized white shirt, old cut-off shorts, ghetto house... you get the picture). We picked up baby Hyrum who is one year old, and headed up to Scott's house where we were going to be shooting. Hyrum was completely content to be chilling on my hip, barefoot, for almost an entire hour.  He played with my hair, ate some cheerios, looked at the things on the wall inside Scott's house while we were waiting for the salesman to knock on the door, etc.  He did awesome.  We ended up shooting it a good five-plus times.  When the filmmakers were content with the footage they'd gotten, we loaded Hyrum back into the car and headed home. 

After we dropped Hyrum at his house, Scott dropped me off just in time to change clothes, copy down my lesson plan, grab some water and snacks and run out the door to go teach ESL. 

The class was pretty uneventful.  That is, except for the part where I found a note on the side of one of my students desks.  He had written it (in English! Yay!) to explain that he'd bought me some bananas, but forgotten them in his car, so he would bring them in at break time.  And that he did. They were all wrapped up in a plastic bag, so that no one could tell what they were, I imagine (he was trying to be pretty stealth about it).  Also, there was the part where the oldest man in my class was flirting with me (to make matters worse, he doesn't have a wife, currently.  He's definitely like sixty.  I'm sorry, but ewww. no.)


I finally got home around 8:30pm.  I chatted with Brooke and Ashley for a minute, had a little snack, and then started getting ready for bed (I had to be at work at 6am at the bakery again today, so I wanted to get to bed early-ish. Which really ended up being about 10:20.  Oh well.). 

Luckily, today has been a lot more chill and I've gotten a few things done around the house. 

Life is pretty good.

************

P.S. I found this picture in a magazine a couple years ago, and saved it. I just came across it again a couple of days ago.  Can this be my family someday?  Barefoot, babies, straw hat, husband with carrots.  I'm taking note.


Click on the links to check out the rest of the slideshow (the one that included the above picture) about an organic farm, and the story that goes with it.  The photography is beautiful, and everyone should know about eating locally and sustainably.

***********

The recipe for the soup I mentioned at the top of the post can be found here.  Chili's Southwestern Vegetable Soup.  So good! 

I didn't have any corn tortillas, so I didn't add those, and added a little corn starch to it to thicken it up instead.  I also am not a huge fan of spicy foods, so I didn't add the chilies.  I couldn't find our chili powder either, so I just added crushed red pepper flakes instead.  BUT.  It turned out pretty spicy.  Spicier than I would have liked.  So my tip to you is, if you don't add chilies and can't find your chili powder and end up having to use red pepper flakes instead, don't add as much as you would if you had chili powder.  Just a heads up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment