CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Catching up my pictures

I was FINALLY able to get some pictures that I've been wanting to share off my phone! So here are some rather belated stories that I've been waiting until I had pictures, to tell.

This one is from when my brother crashed his motorcycle. Everyone was just generally stressed out because hello, all we wanted to do was go to dinner and we ended up in the hospital. My mom and I were in the room with him when they unstrapped him from that horrible back board, and we found a little treasure right in the middle of his chest!

A Dandelion!

Apparently it just so happened that when they were strapping him onto the board where he had crashed, a dandelion got strapped in too! We made sure to take pictures, and even left it there for a little while :). It definitely lightened the mood.

This one I took while driving home to Washinton from Utah. My car was stuffed to capacity and it was only a couple days after school had gotten out, but I was moving home to get ready and save money for my mission. I just happened to notice that I was hitting the 22,222 mile mark! I took it as a good omen :)

The picture below is of the horrible burn I got on Friday night. That's what you get for trying to save your sister's life! Mckenzie found one of those gel candles, lit it, and let it burn for probably at least 3 or 4 hours... enough time for tons of the gel to melt into this oily substance. We were all out of the room, and the fire alarm started going off, so the little girls ran into the room and soon they started frantically calling me. I told them to just blow it out, and they were panicky and yelling, "we can't! we can't!" So I went in and saw that not only was the wick lit, but the oily liquid had also lit on fire. The flame was too big to blow out, so I picked it up around the bottom where it wasn't too hot for my bare fingers and took it downstairs where I smothered it by covering the top of the container (still no burn). There was lots of smoke inside the container after I put it out, and I wanted to keep the smoke alarm from going off, so I stood up still covering it and took it out the backdoor to let the smoke out outside. I still don't remember exactly what happened, but once I was on the back deck I managed to touch the hot part of the candle holder, which made my hand jerk involuntarily, causing the hot oil to spill all over my left hand... at which point I made some sort of inhuman screeching sound and automatically tried to scrape the liquid (which was turning back into gel ON my hand) off. Once my mind caught up and realized what had happened I ran to the kitchen sink and put it immediately under the cold water. Apparently milk is better than cold water for burns, so we did that for awhile too (my sister and her friend were great little nurses, especially since I was one-handed). I kept it in cold liquids for more than two hours and still the pain was unbearable when it was not in some sort of cold something. Seriously... worst pain I've ever felt. Anyway, managed to go to sleep that night with my hand in front of the fan, woke up the next morning to a much improved and less painful burn (not even really blistered!), but after getting up and being outside in the warm day it started to blister, and get bigger, and bigger until I finally succumbed and went to the doctor (Saturday evening) where I took these pictures. They prescribed me some cream and wrapped it up, which honestly didn't help the pain at all, but at least it was protected. I was really hoping they'd drain the blisters because they were really hurting me. Anyway, after getting much larger than these pictures, the blisters are finally starting to deflate slightly and aren't hurting anymore :).

Believe it or not the two that are right next to each other on the upper part of my palm merged together and grew even larger than those two combined. It looks really gross. Trust me.
Finally, I was looking through a bunch of ads my mom had in her car when we were waiting for an hour to cross the border back into the US. I found out that the Tacoma Art Museum and the Museum of Glass allow free entry on the 3rd Thursday of every month during specific hours, so Emily and I went last Thursday. It was really interesting! I jotted down the names of some artists whose work I really liked at the art museum, and then we walked down the street a couple blocks to the Museum of Glass. To get to the entrance you have to walk across the bridge of glass, which goes over the freeway. It's decorated with tons of blown glass on the walls and some on the ceiling too! This picture is of the ceiling with the blown glass in it.

3 comments:

  1. Those burns are INTENSE. Wow. At least you are able to take the pain, now you're ready to conquer natural childbirth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to your Facebook status: I still visit your blog. I am just lame about commenting on a regular basis. But I love your blog, and I love keeping up to date on your wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your poor poor hand austin! that's just awful....you're a good, responsible girl though & i hope you're on the mend.

    and that blown glass art is just beautiful & sounds really neat!

    ReplyDelete