CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Let It Rain

I remember a day.  A couple of years ago was this day.

I was walking home from BYU campus on this particularly blustery, rainy day.

The rain drops were fat, and fell from the sky like great watery bombs.  As they fell they were swirled and jolted by great gusts of wind.  I pulled my jacket tighter around me, scrunched my eyebrows, and tilted my head forward looking at the ground in hopes of keeping as much water off of me as possible.  I took great quick steps, trying to get to my warm dry apartment faster.  All I could think about was how my pants were getting all wet and I hope that my papers in my backpack aren't getting wet and ugh I just washed my hair this morning and now it's going to get all wet and gross and, man...

As I came to the south edge of campus and started down the steps, I saw something that would change my outlook on that day, and my attitude toward the outdoors for good.  Or rather remind me of what it used to be.

A girl that was about my age was climbing up the hill headed towards campus.  She had bare feet, and a long cream-colored flowy blouse.  Her hair was long and wavy and blowing unrestrained in the wind.  Her face looked forward, confidently, smiling to have the opportunity to experience Mother Nature in this up-close, intimate way.

My grip on my jacket loosened slightly, and a smile slowly grew across my face.

I suddenly wanted to feel the wet ground under my bare feet, and let the wind and rain tousle my hair. 

I wanted to feel the chubby water droplets on my arms, and watch the goosebumps rise on my skin from the chill of the cool wind.

Why do we shelter ourselves so?  Why do we keep our inner wildness from the elements?

The rest of my walk home was spent trying to get my body to open up and take it's original place as part of the natural world. 

Of course, it is a little hard when you live in Utah and it FREEZES hardcore in the winter.

But even then, there is still so much beauty to be enjoyed.  And we were made to enjoy it.







 
 

Let us embrace all that nature has to offer.  There is always something in it that can be enjoyed and appreciated.  Besides, the fresh air is good for your soul.


4 comments:

  1. Too true. I have often thought that the times I feel most alive are when rain drops are splashing on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when it rains. It reminds me of the big summer storms in Missouri, and when we were little my mom would let us run out in the rain in our swim suits. If we had warmer rain storms here, I would totally be out there running in it. We do live on a beautiful earth, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THE RAIN!!!!!!!!!!! AND THE EARTH

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you might like to know that this blog post inspired the events I wrote about in my most recent post :)

    http://sshheelleeyy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete