CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Oh Happy Weekend

I had an absolutely blissful weekend.

I went down to my favorite crazy single girl house in Provo and spent the whole entire weekend there.

We spent Friday evening digging up potatoes in the dark.

Doesn't sound very fun, but have you ever tried digging potatoes in the dark?  It's a very interesting activity.

 I agree with any little kid who tells you that there's something very rewarding about digging around in the soil with your bare hands.  (You should try it sometime). 

Plus, they were purple potatoes.  (How can you go wrong with purple potatoes?) 

We stayed up late and talked and told stories about random things, and ate delicious food (like we always do).  On Saturday, we went to the farmer's market (which is my favorite place in the whole wide world. No, not just the Provo one.  ANY farmer's market). I meandered with two of my favorite people and ate delicious authentic mexican food and purchased some fabulous treasures.

I found the perfect bag there.  The one that I've been hoping to find for months but thought was only available in a foreign country.   And it was cheaper than I thought it would be.  Jackpot.

And I bought a pumpkin.  A fresh, Utah farmer's market pumpkin.  From which I plan to extract every single seed, for washing and roasting and then... devouring.  Then I will save the rest of the pumpkin, from which I plan to make a fresh. pumpkin. pie.  Which I might share with YOU.  Because what thing isn't infinitely better when you share it with your favorite people?

Did I mention that I almost forgot to buy that pumpkin?  Well, I did almost forget.  The mexican food distracted me and I got all the way home before realizing I had forgotten my long-awaited farmer's market pumpkin.  Luckily, my friend (who also wanted a pumpkin) has a car.  And so we went, all the way back (all 5 blocks) to the farmer's market to get pumpkins.  A task at which we succeeded... only to find, once we returned home again, a large glob (mass? spillage?) of laundry detergent on the floor of this particular friend's car.  And so, we spent the next three hours or so trying to figure out a way to get all the horrible, concentrated, liquid soap out of the carpet of the car.  And I enjoyed it.

I love that I have free time.  So that I can spend whole afternoons helping out a friend, just because I feel like it.  And oh, nope, I don't have ANY homework to do, or anywhere specific to be, and I have all the time in the world to sit here and help you out.

Did I mention that I hung a clothesline in my room today?  Well, I did.

And that I hung clothes on it to dry just this very morning? (Yes, I'm saving energy).

And I planted flowers right outside my window.  The kind that are bulbs, and that you plant in the fall then they bloom in the spring.  You know, like tulips, and daffodils.  

And then when the first inkling of springtime comes, I will know it.  I will know it because bright red tulips will spring forth from the barren earth right. outside. my window.  JOY.

Later, on the farmer's market, soap spilling day, I went to out to dinner.  We (those who accompanied me to dinner) decided we wanted italian food, and so we went to Olive Garden.   The only problem was that we had wanted to walk to wherever we went, because the weather was so very fall like, and lovely, in a blustery, drizzly, gray, but beautiful kind of way. 

Olive Garden is kind of far away and so we had to drive.  To our dismay.

On the way there, we shouted dramatically out the car windows at the drizzly weather and everyone and no one all at the same time.

When we arrived, we were told that there would be a fifteen or twenty minute wait.  What a stroke of luck!!  Just enough time to make a couple of laps around the restaurant and satisfy our walking craving.

In the back of the restaurant we found a cluster of trees which had purple leaves.  This (the cluster) we named the maroon way of sparkling mystery, and we touched the pretty leaves and twirled under the treetops. 

When our beeper went off, we went inside, and gorged ourselves on breadsticks and salad and beautiful pasta.  For dessert? Chocolate lava cake torte thing.  Chocolate deliciousness. Whatever you want to call it.  All I know is that it had strawberries, and vanilla cream sauce, and it was gone in a matter of approximately thirty seconds between the three of us.  Need I say more?

And this was only the beginning of the evening.  I won't go into all the details, because I would probably never stop! but it was a great spontaneous, joyful evening.

And Sunday, was spent mostly lounging (except the three hour break when we went to church).  After we got home, we lounged some more.  Being lazy is great sometimes.

We also spent some time looking up info on the main characters of the movie we had seen the night before (Bright Star) What a terribly tragic story it was!  But oh how we wished gorgeous poet men would fall in love with us and write us passionate love letters. 

Like I said, it was a blissful weekend.

1 comment: