CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

So Proud

I found this survey data on the American Red Cross website, and I am oh so proud to call myself a female between the ages of 18 and 24.

Read below to find out why.

The American Red Cross conducted a survey of about 1000 blood donors to find out more about those who donate and why. Whether you are a donor or not, there are a few things you may have in common.

You selected: Female (age 18-24)

Among 18-24 year old women who are blood donors:

* About 40% have been donating for 2 to 3 years
* More than half donated blood for the first time because they felt it was their civic duty and wanted to help others
* 45 percent would travel over 10 miles to donate blood — the most of any age or gender group
* More than half describe themselves as leaders and they are more likely to want to be recognized for their good deeds than other gender and age groups
* More are likely to be involved in social groups and athletic activities than older women
* Nearly all (~100%) believe that the American Red Cross contributes to the community!

Donors who are like you donated blood the first time because they felt it was their duty and to help others. They want to be known for their good deeds, and they will go out of their way to do what they think is right. We thank you and your peers both for the dedication and for the overwhleming support of the American Red Cross. You deserve to wear the badge of honor!


*Again, I found this info at http://www.givelife2.org/donor/whereyoufit.asp

Go do it.  It's not nearly as scary as it seems like it would be, it's free, AND they give you as many free treats and drinks afterwards as you want!  I've donated several times with MountainStar Blood Services in Provo and I've had nothing but great experiences with them.  In fact, you can just show up there, anytime during their operating hours, and donate! If you get a group of 10 or more together and call ahead, they'll order pizza for everyone, in addition to the normal snacks and drinks you get.  Plus after you donate with them, they'll mail you a little card with all your information on it, so the next time you go, there's hardly any paperwork to fill out. 


This Saturday is my 8 week marker since the last time I donated, and I have an appointment to go do it again on that very day.  In fact, I'm bringing my little sister with me so she can donate too (I guess I figure, why not start 'em young? :)).  And yes, I'm proud of it.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I used to donate all the time when they had blood drives on campus. But I haven't done it since I was pregnant. I guess I could do it now! -Sheri E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. which little sister i will do it!

    ReplyDelete