CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 12, 2009

Plain White T's & Snow Patrol

Some friends and I went to the Snow Patrol/Plain White T's concert Saturday night.



(from left to right: Evan, me, Robbie, Glade, and Katy.) 

(Another friend, Heather, showed up later after this picture was taken, and we didn't get any new ones... sorry!)

I'd never been a huge follower of either of those bands, but I knew that both had come out with songs that I really liked, and I'm just a huge concert fan in general, so we got a group together and went.

Plain White T's was supposed to open, but the poor lead singer had a cold.  So they came out and just did three songs:

1 2 3 4

Sunlight

Hey There Delilah (of course)

Sunlight was the only one they played that I hadn't yet heard, and I'm a big fan!  It was excellent, especially live.  In fact in preparation for the concert I listened to some of their stuff, and had decided that overall I liked Snow Patrol's stuff better.  But after hearing their little three song set, I checked out their latest album on iTunes (Big Bad World--Bonus Track Version), decided I really liked it, and bought it! :)

Cool note: When we were leaving, we walked right past the drummer from Plain White T's!  He was just standing around outside the bleachers!

After about a 30-45 minute interim between bands, Snow Patrol came out and put on a fantastic show.  Seriously after I left my appreciation for them as artists had jumped about 100 points.  Did you know they're from Ireland (I know, I'm pathetic... I didn't even know that)?  Their music and their show really showed off their abilities as musicians, and the true artists in them.  I was really pleasantly surprised.

I of course loved Chasing Cars, but some favorites I discovered at the concert were:

Crack the Shutters (oh man... I am in LOVE.)

The Planets Bend Between Us
The Golden Floor (especially awesome live, with the ethnic drums going on)
The Lightening Strike  (the linked video shows a little bit of the cool animation I write about below)

The Lightening Strike was their encore, and it was particularly excellent because of the 3-D animation they had going on on the screen behind them throughout the whole song.  Before they came out again for the encore, a little explanation of the song scrolled on the screen, explaining how one night during a thunder storm, they had "penned" three songs, and then they decided to put them together into one (it's like a 15 minute song) and call it The Lightening Strike (for obvious reasons).  If I had just heard the song, I'm not sure I would've particularly liked it, but with the animation going on in the background it was absolutely beautifulI just wish I had taken some video of it, because it's hard to describe.

There was another song that I liked, but I can't remember the name of it.  I particularly liked it though, because there was this cool video playing in the background of someone driving through the streets of Belfast. 

They also played Just Say Yes for the second time ever, live!  They said they had played it live for the first time just the night before, so we were only the second group to witness it live. (I know, cool right?)

After the concert I bought their album A Hundred Million Suns from iTunes.

Below are a few of the videos I captured from the event.
(I especially thought funny the one where the guitarist and lead singer of Snow Patrol are singing right in each other's faces... ha)











No comments:

Post a Comment